Monday, January 18, 2010

Join the Fun... with Purse Pals

Blog Update - after my personal success of Peace for the Holidays, I am attempting to incorporate that more into my life. Unfortunately, blogging ends up shuffled to the side sometimes. My top priorities continue to be Health (including adequate sleep) and My Family. Work comes in second since it does help pay the bills and...to be honest...I just can't do a crappy job on something because I really hate to let people down. Oh, the guilt. And work has involved some busy hours lately. But I only have so many hours I have on this project and I won't keep up this pace forever... It will slow in time, and I will blog as I can because I do love it and I do miss it. But no more excuses from me...just wanted to let you know that's the new norm here and now I will stop my whining because I am boring myself.

Couple of news-y items to discuss today. It seems like everyone else is catching up with us, fellow JCA & PV fans.

First, Robin Givhan, our Pulitzer Prize-winning (seriously) fashion editor at the Washington Post, penned the Fashion Moments part of the Post's Best and Worst of 2009. 2009 Best Fashion Moment #4?

J. Crew and its creative director, Jenna Lyons, show the world modestly priced fashion that's good enough for an audience with Queen Elizabeth II.

Works for me! Don't think I would go with the Vintage Slim jeans in worn-in wash for that occasion, however. (BTW, yes, that article was from December 20. At least I'm within 30 days.) (Jenna Lyons photo credit - New York Observer)

Although, if you are hiking in Arizona, jeans are probably a good idea. Did you see this? Denim may thwart rattlesnake venom? But again...maybe the worn-in wash isn't the best for that outing either. Go for something without holes. But when you mom/DH/SO starts hassling you about those expensive designer jeans, you can tell them it's just for your health (see note at top of post on health being a priority).

Next, how many of you get Rachel Zoe's daily email newsletter- The Zoe Report? (Love her show!!) Her style and mine don't exactly mesh 100% (duh), but she's always lots of fun to read and it's interesting to get a different perspective. And if I don't have time to read, I can always hit delete. You can sign up for the newsletter on her website.

But here's the fun part - did you know that RZ (or one of her staff) looks at Polyvore? Ok, she might not be a Poly-whore like some of us, but quite a few of her newsletters on different trends refer readers to Polyvore. For example, a 12/30/09 post on "Warrior Princess" - i.e. embellished headbands - the email included this Polyvore link and tag: "See how embellished headbands completed the always fab looks on Polyvore.com."

Granted it was just a search on headbands, but hey...someone in Camp Zoe is watching. But um, yeah, I'm pretty sure she's NEVER hit on one of my PVs...ya think? (Rachel Zoe photo credit - petite.about.com - this was the preppiest pic I could find. If you want the prep, you go with Brad.)

And finally...you know, you can always find J Crew in unexpected places...like on the shoulder of your daughter's friend's dad when you drop her off for a soccer birthday party. Yep, my new Purse Pal, Mr. snaphappy was sporting his wife's Selby satchel. (She ordered her own after coveting mine and fantasizing about stealing it. *That* sure would have been awkward at the bus stop.) So...it just goes to show you...you never know where you'll find J Crew.

I did have to show Mr. snaphappy how to hold the purse correctly - most men are just not born with the knowledge ingrained, apparently.

(photo credit to the talented and always fun snaphappy who has promised to try to join us at our next DC JCA outing)

23 comments:

snaphappy said...

Love seeing my Mr. Snaphappy on your blog! And, yes, I did fantasize about running off with your bag while you were in the restroom at Old Navy! :)

Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to write you were going to stop blogging all together my heart was jumping nooo you can't leave us! (just kidding), blog when you are able to.

Love the last picture too cute.

HeidiG said...

snaphappy - showed Mr.G when we got back from shiva - he loved the pic - hope it doesn't come up at poker... (and I knew you wanted to steal my bag.)

casual-crew - I just got tired of making excuses every time I slacked off for a few days or more...so now, guilt load off, I feel better.

dinagideon said...

Mr. Snaphappy's pic does not dissapoint. Ms. Snaphappy, you have every right to be proud.

Um, is it me or does Rachel Zoe look underfed? I am worried about her...I want to hand her a really buttery croissant and have her eat it.

I also love that denim can help thwart snakebites...since I know for 100% fact that there are copperheads in my nature preserve backyard (no, I am not kidding), I think the jeans will be my choice when exploring. Probably Levis, but J. Crew take it as a compliment that I don't want to ruin your pretty pretty jeans. (Well except those really awful acid-washed creations you show in your Spring 2010 lookbook...unh uh...I won't even take those into my walks in my backyard. I have a feeling the snakes would bite me simply for having no taste.) :)

Cate said...

Haha that's hysterical- great picture.

Pamela said...

love the Jcrew sighting on Mr. Snaphappy!!
I get RZs newsletter and I like that while her posts are mostly about super high end items, she puts in the "parallel universe" item which is more modest in price. And Dina's right, she always looks emaciated. What's worse is the say the camera adds 5 lbs!! Yikes! I'd be scared to see her IRL. I still love her style and advice!

Unknown said...

So glad to see you're back! Fantastic post, great Post article, and hysterical photo :)

HeidiG said...

dinagideon - no, it's not you, she does look underfed - but there was a whole story arc on that on last season's the Rachel Zoe Project. I think she needs a croissant and a cheeseburger.

Cate - glad you enjoyed the pic - he's such a good sport. Mr.G still refused to be in my blog.

Pamela - I do like the "parallel universe" picks in her newsletter - but it does crack me up when sometimes there just isn't one. I do love her style on her, and I do enjoy hearing her advice - always great for different perspectives. Did you read her book? I was actually impressed with it. Much more broad-based than what we see on the show. But I still blame her for some of the hideous platform shoes I saw at the Globes last night.

Stylestance - glad you enjoyed them!

GingerSnap said...

Haha - I love your purse twin! How cute is that photo?!?! I bet he's thrilled to be on your blog :)

Patina said...

As always, you look stunning, Heidi. Love the Winnie coat on you, and now I regret not buying the Shelby purse. It's gorgeous!!!

Kristin said...

Too cute - his and hers Selbys! I'm surprised JC hasn't tried that marketing angle yet, they seem to try all the others!

The winnie looks awesome too!

CECE said...

awwww so cute! I was lucky to get that bag! I wasnt as lucky as you, I got the camel color. Its really nice and buttery soft. Its in the closet...one of those impulse, gotta have bag but dont need it. Well, after having seen the picture, I think I will switch bags today LOL. You look great! I love the outfit!

HeidiG said...

GingerSnap - snaphappy did run it by him to get his ok. :)

Patina - thank you! it's funny - the Selby reminds me so much of one of JC's bags from the previous season - was it the Editor? I imagine we'll see it again sometime...

Kristin - yes, clearly Mr. snaphappy and I are destined to be in the next catalog. I'll email Jenna now... :)

CECE - it's just so soft, isn't it? You can use it as a substitute pillow. I love the caramel color also - that's probably an even better color for spring that the black one, so I may end up being more versatile. When snaphappy and I were discussing her order (since they were out of the black), we realized that pretty much every other purse she had was black, so the caramel was a nice change. Hope you enjoy yours as well.

C said...

uh, how big is that purse? I think some of us short people might need a step ladder to get it off the ground.

CECE said...

ooops I meant caramel...hehehe. I know I was really surprised at how buttery soft this one is. I had the gallery tote but had to return it because of horrible color transfer. It was soft but I believe this one is softer, just luxurious. It was such a pleasant surprise getting this one in the mail. I cant wait to use mine =) Love your coat! If you want to donate it...let me know hehehe

Ms.Mer said...

I totally sympathize about prioritizing... way to take some health/personal family time, HeidiG. :)

Haha, you are too funny with the last photo! I love how you got your guy pal to pose so prettily with you. ;)

HeidiG said...

C - yeah, it's definitely on the big end of the spectrum. I usually put the handles over my shoulder, and I only use the long strap when I want to cross-body it. Too tall to wear JC minis = tall enough to pull off the huge purse. Balance? :)

CECE - it's just so squishy soft... And sorry, you'll have to find your own Winnie... :) I swear, it looked like the exact coat one of the PR season 7 contestants was wearing at the Project Runway Avenue event in NYC. Must check that out...

MS. Mer - his wife actually put him up to it - I just did the posing. :) Like I said before, he's a good sport.

Elizabeth in MO said...

OT - I LOVE your blog and I just read your comment about your "color hanger system" on FFM's blog. FABULOUS idea!! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm purchasing some colored hangers TODAY! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love that pic! Mr. S is such a good sport, and you look beautiful as usual!

Elizabeth in MO said...

One more thing - I will definitely be investing in more denim. Dinagideon - we, too, have venomous snakes in our backyard - we saw 5 rattlesnakes and 6 copperheads within the last 2 summers - YIKES! We live on some beautiful ground but I do tend to 'hibernate' in the air conditioning in the summer (if I'm not at the pool with the kiddos) because I'm terrified of the snakes! Maybe a good excuse to buy more jeans (without holes!)

kaufeegurl said...

Love the pic of Mr. Snaphappy! I do watch the Rachel Zoe Project and wish they would just order a big 'ol pizza or chinese or something and spend some time eating! My favorite episode was the Paris one - loved seeing Coco Chanel's apartment!

I used to be a Girl Scout leader and was the camping coordinator for the area. Although we don't have venomous snakes in our area, jeans were a required item. Evidently they ward off bugs, sticks that jump out at you, random fire sparks and probably the local camp ghost.

HeidiG said...

Elizabeth in MO - glad to help with the hanger tip and the denim tip.

Katherine - thank you!

McShoppy - thank you, right from the mouth of a Girl Scout Troop leader - more reasons to justify those jeans purchases!! (I always keep several episodes of last season's Rachel Zoe Project on DVR - it's great for background when I'm doing something task-wise in the evening.)

Summerilla said...

The picture of Mr. Snaphappy is so cute. Who wouldn't want to steal a JCrew bag? LOL.

I agree with casual-crew I was worried you were writing about stopping blogging too! I know what you mean though - so much as come up lately and blogging just keeps getting pushed aside - that also being that I don't have electricity or internet in the new condo yet!

Miss you all!