Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lake Update

We are still up at the Lake, but my internet access has been limited to the BroadBand Access in my BlackBerry which is not nearly as fast as the at-home wireless, and since I’ve been spending enough time online for work, I just haven’t been able to carve out the time for the blogging, and blog-reading. I will catch up, I swear. And I’m not complaining about work – I would rather be here doing some work than sitting at home doing everything at the kitchen table. Like I said earlier, the view is better. But I am on Day 10 of being here and I will be ready to head home on Monday.



What I miss most about home – the appliances (dishwasher and washer/dryer) and my bed. (makes a difference when hubby is here – king vs. double…oh yeah, getting cozy!)

What I will miss most about being here – The view is so beautiful Life is just simpler. Nature is so close. And when the weather is good, it’s just so much fun. It’s fun even when the weather isn’t great but cabin fever sets in after a while. But when we get to hit the beach…here’s me – in my usual hat & shades. And I’ve been able to wear this coverup that I don’t usually sport at home since it’s long sleeve and terry. I got it at Old Navy 3 or so years ago and still love it. Perfect for 77-degree sunny lake days on the beach.

And here’s a tip I picked up from my mom while she was here: Every morning she takes a nice, long walk. And, of course, Lucy & I accompanied her. So anyway…when she puts on her sneakers, she does it standing up. I always sit on the floor or step or whatever. But when you stand while doing it, it’s a both a balance exercise and a balance test. Bonus points if you don’t have to put your foot on the floor to get the heel in the shoe. I’ve been copycatting and doing the same. And all I can think about is the slogan “Achieve…New Balance”. Of course, I’m wearing Brooks.

And one more tip – self-tanner for the face. As you see above, my head is so shaded when I’m out in the sun. I actually have to pop down the shades occasionally with new acquaintances at the pool as they don’t always recognize me in my “disguise.” And even with my SPF 70 faithful applications, I still do tan. But my face is white. Not good. So to even things out, I try to stay in the shade more…and I use self-tanner on my face. I had tried a few and not really been happy until I tried one by L’Occitane – Self-Tanning Veil. It’s a gradual tanner, but works well. It does have oil in it, which I normally steer way way way clear of, but this one doesn’t seem to impact my skin poorly. It is noncomedogenic. Worth a shot for a little glow, no?

13 comments:

Jemma said...

Glad to hear you are having a great vacation. You look very chic in your hat and cover up!

Unknown said...

So chic & skinny. Girl, I have the same tunic. I'm telling you, we like most of the same things! It's a crack up.

Hope you're feeling relaxed! Lucy sure is looking good, too.

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

Thanks for the update, Heidi! I'm so glad you're having such a great time. :) You look very cute in your hat and shades, too!

HeidiG said...

Jemma Ruby & FFM - thank you!

Gigi - thank you! Same tunic - that is too funny - it's from a number of years ago, too. I think the reason it's still in such great shape is that I just don't wear it that often since pool weather is usually too hot - but I'm so glad I have it for up here!

GingerSnap said...

Seems like you are having a pretty relaxing time, lucky duck! As for the beach wear, that's what I look like too. I'm usually coated in SPF 100000, sitting under an umbrella with a hat and glasses on. It kind ruins the idea of "beach beauty" - tan, running in the surf in a bitty bikini...I don't really fit that idea, but hey, at least my skin looks good OFF the beach :)

Anonymous said...

you are so good about keeping that face of yours out of the sun! Your lake trip sounds so relaxing! Love it! I'm so glad you're having such a nice time!

SallyO said...

I have that same cover-up from Old Navy, except mine is jade green. I love the shape and overall look of it, but I hardly ever wear it because I always get so hot in it, if I'm in the sun. Maybe I'll try it again...

Kathy said...

You are looking fabulous! Have fun the last few days!

Patina said...

Hi Heidi-You look beautiful, but that's a given. Love the coverup, hat and shades. I share your sentiment, because whenever I visit my dad in SC, i feel like I could stay there forever. I love the peace and serenity. I'm glad your having a great time...lucy too

dinagideon said...

I am so happy that you have been having such a great time. Sounds simply sublime!

And your outfit, you remind me of the French Riveria. Well, if the French Riveria was personified, that is...

Lucy looks happy, too. Talk about perfection (except for the no dishwasher part and all)...

HeidiG said...

GingerSnap - I think we all realize that the old vision of beach beauty is fading and yours will rule the day - and that's why your skin is so gorgeous...and will stay gorgeous.

Lissa - thank you!

SallyO - too funny, that's 3 of us! I know, I love it, but it's only perfect in certain weather.

Kathy and Seashell - thank you!

Patina - thank you! Yes, the peacefulness is so nice...until I have to do the dishes, ugh. (Serenity now, hehehe) But kiddies & pooch are having a blast.

Dina - so kind of you! I admit that I can't wait to go home and use my appliances. But it has been nice to be here.

Anonymous said...

The white outfit with the hat and shades=Jackie O. all the way!

HeidiG said...

luvallthingsjcrew - thank you! high praise indeed, from a MA girl! :)