Saturday, June 20, 2009

Heidi’s Beauty Bag – Walmart Field Trip, Plus a Little Splurge

So last weekend, we were in NC for the niece’s HS graduation and hubby’s grandparents’ ashes dispensation (I’m not sure if there’s a better term for it, but have you seen Lady Button’s post on what some people do with ashes? Ewwww.)

With some extra time to kill, I tagged along on a trip to Walmart for my SIL to buy the kids’ some games for their birthdays (1 in May & 1 in July, so by gifting in June, on average, it was on time). So here are my finds:

1 – Ok, not exactly a beauty item. But 3 sports bras for $10? Great deal. Granted, I don’t have *that* much to support and I’m not going to run a marathon in these or do 500 jumping jacks, but I might do 50. They had several color combos and racerback or spaghetti strap styles. I just got the all white pack. I will layer these under tanks & dresses in the summer instead of a bra. Much cooler, temp-wise. And I guess you could say it’s beauty related, since a cooler, comfier me is bound to look better than uncomfy, sweaty me. (This is the link to the gray/black/white pack, but you get the point, right?)

2 – Clean & Clear Morning Glow Moisturizer, SPF 15. Ok, so after the niece’s grad party, I was browsing the latest issue of Seventeen. (don’t judge – yeah, I know, 17…plus 20) But who is going to be a better expert on reducing oily T-zones? So they were suggesting this moisturizer and it was under $10, so I figured it was worth a try. Especially since my beloved Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation (thinner than anything, lighter than air, but my skin looks so good) is getting a bit shinier on the T-zone in the warmer weather. I picked up this moisturizer and actually peeled the back to look at the ingredients and sure enough, second to last, was corn starch – which we all know is a mattifier. I am really liking it so far. And, bonus, I am even putting the lotion on my nose, which is the icky-icky-oiliest part – and here’s why – it can use mattifying, it can use some extra SPF, and with oily skin, if you never moisturize you can exacerbate the situation because skin will create more sebum, thus oil slick. I think this will be a good under-makeup and at-night moisturizer for the summer. (No worries – major sunblock application if I am planning to actually be out in the sun for more than incidental exposure.)

3 – L’Oreal Infallible eyeliner in Brown. First the back story – I hate sharpening pencils. Actually the only pencil I will use that needs sharpening is my YSL eyebrow pencil (Dessin des Sourcils). Trust me, the first time I ran out, I tried to find a self-sharpening replacement. I went through multiple department store brands and finally realized that it was the best one for me, and it merited sharpening. So regarding eyeliner, the same rule applies – I hate to sharpen. I was using Chanel’s Stylo Yeux Waterproof Long Lasting eyeliner. And it hasn’t been performing that well lately. Ok, maybe that’s because it is 12 months old and needs to be tossed? Um, yeah, will do that. I will say, it has an impressive color selection.
In one of the mag’s I was reading (can’t remember which one) they mentioned the L’Oreal Infallible eyeliner as a “steal.” So far I am really liking it. It lasts quite well and isn’t hard to apply. Not too hard to make the line thick or thin as the mood strikes. It even has a smudger on the other end, which is good, because I often like the smudgy look. The downside is that it appears to come in 4 colors only – black, brown, black brown, and carbon black. I did not make that up, I swear that’s what they have.

4 - This wasn't part of the Walmart outing. I have one recent splurge to share…well, call it a mini-splurge. Some of you will probably think “that’s too much”, while others will be like “that’s nothing, I like in Chanel makeup.” I was at Sephora browsing around, and swung by the Smashbox display…and got another lipstick. Except it’s not a lipstick. It is the Smashbox Tinted Treatment Lipstick with SPF 15.

Last time I checked, Sephora online only had the non-tinted on their website, but they definitely had it in my store, which is not particularly large. It’s $18, but the Smashbox website currently has it on sale for $13.50. I got Beam, which is described as a pink nude. I love this. It may be my summer go-to lipstick. You know, the one that I keep in my purse because it’s always perfect. I do have it in my purse now, but I am thinking about clearing out the other lipsticks as this one just rocks. Maybe it’s my summer version of the Smashbox Photo-FinishLipstick with Sila-silk in Delightful (a sheer berry), which is my purse lippie in fall, winter, & spring. Back to the Lip Treatment – the color is very sheer & subtle, kinda like the Makeup Alley expression, YLBB (your lips but better). Per their description:

This vitamin and antioxidant-packed sheer lip color has it all - a treatment
core with SPF 15 to protect, vitamins A, C & E to revitalize, shea butter,
jojoba and avocado oils to nourish, and chamomile and aloe to soothe. Honey
provides extra moisturization and a deliciously sweet flavor and scent.
The formula is way moisturizing and actually tastes good, probably due to the moisturizing honey in it. (No, I don’t eat my lipstick but we’ve all tried lippies that just tasted blegh on the lips, and I won’t wear those.) They also have the lippie in Ray (sheer berry) and in an untinted formula, also with SPF. I may try the other color at some point as well. Love love love this lippie!
Do you have any beauty steals you want to share?

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the eyeliner tip ... I'll only use self-sharpening also and I like Clinique's, but maybe I'll pick up L'Oreal next time I'm in Target (like today for example).

Kathy said...

We seem to have the same listick standards, so I will take your advice and check this out! I hope you are having a great time with the kids!

Anonymous said...

really Heidi... a $20 lipstick splurge. PLEASE!!! Apparently you didn't go to the pottery barn website and check out the price of my new lamp. :)

We just won't eat next week...

it's sooo totally worth it.

Slastena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Slastena said...

Lol about Lissa's commment! I'd say 10 years ago Estee Lauder lipstick for $22 was considered a BIG splurge. Nowdays, with soaring prices, makeup for under/little over $20 considered a steal. Also, it is true that you get what you paid for. I am not saying that there are no good cheap products, but generally I get more wear and use out of good established brands. Smashbox and Bobbi Brown would be an example. If I buy a product from them, I know I am going to : 1) enjoy the ownership, 2) wear it a lot, 3 ) have no allergy issues, 4)be perfectly fine with quality- it will last long, will look the way it is supposed to look, will stay put without smudging and running over.

Enjoy your purchase!!! Guilt-free!:)

Anonymous said...

Cute post...luveed reading about your Walmart shopping bag!

HeidiG said...

Stylestance - I have used the Clinique self-sharpening (love their colors), but I think this one does last longer.

Kathy - hope it works for you. Kids & I are having a great time. No rain since Thursday - but we are about to get hit again this afternoon.

Lissa - yeah, I know, but in with the Walmart post, it did feel like a splurge. :) I'm sure your new PB lamp is totally fabbie. Worth giving up food, definitely.

Slastena - You are totally right about getting what you pay for. That's also why I love it when I find these steals that actually work. And if I tire of them in a month or two, I don't feel bad. It's interesting because I have actually had better luck with drugstore moisturizers than most department store brands.

luvallthingsjcrew - thanks!

Her Preppiness said...

love your purchases.

Ann said...

Thanks for sharing these finds! I will look for that lipstick next time I'm in Sephora; it's always fun to try something new.

The cheap "lip stuff" I've been hooked on for the last year or so is Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer. I must have a half-dozen of them scattered around the house, in Watermelon (a lighter pink), Fig, and Rhubarb (these two are more of a berry color). I love it when I can use just one thing and have it work as both a lip balm and a lip color (the Burt's Bees does this).

post-fab princess said...

Agree, anything under $20 - no biggie. But this is coming from the lady who used to buy $120 Lancome night cream. I stopped doing that once I realized those funds were better spent on J. Crew...

I also HATE sharpening...I used Christian Dior Powder Eyebrow Pencil, and I have to sharpen the damn thing every single day. I store it in the freezer though, and that keeps it nice and stiff. I hate it when it goes soft and gooey.

C said...

best eye liner: Lancome artliner- liquid sort of felt tip, but very thin. Good color selection. $$$ but lasts, and you will never want to go back to a pencil.

JNJ said...

I love Smashbox lipstick, too, especially the lip brilliance. I haven't tried that lip treatment yet, but will def. do so next order. I love that Smashbox.com does free shipping, deluxe samples and Let's do Lunch bonuses on T/Th so it's really great for 'just because' gift-giving for my sister and mom, too.

Anonymous said...

OT:
Read your review of the strapless jersey dress! I am 5'10" too. I usually wear an 8 or medium in JCrew dresses...Not to get too personal but since this is strapless and I am a 36A (sometimes 36B) wondering what size on top you would be to compare. Our bodies look very similar in the picture to me.

Thanks so much. Love your blog and the way you come across:) fun, happy, light hearted:)

HeidiG said...

Her Preppiness - thank you!

Ann - I have used the Burt's Bees before, too - I think I had it in Rhubarb until I switched to the Neutrogena tinted lip balms, since they had SPF. BB has some great colors in the lip shimmers!

PBP - yep, my YSL eyebrow is the only pencil worth sharpening. maybe one day I'll jump on the powder shadow train for brows, but this is just so easy - and it has the spoolie on the other end.

C - oooh, interesting suggestion. I will have to check that out. Thanks!

JNJ - Smashbox does have one of the best sites for ordering. I order from them and Sephora, depending on what else I need. I love the whole idea of the Let's Do Lunch bonuses on T/TH - so cute & clever.

Anon@6:03 - Thank you so much! Sounds like you could be even a wee bit curvier than me, lol - I am a solid 36A. I think I hit a B cup at the end of each pregnancy, but that's pretty much the only time. The strapless dress should be perfect on you. And the price now, at $29.99 - outstanding. If the strap feels a bit loose, like mine does, you can either pay to have it shortened, do it yourself, or go with the lazy method of doing a quick little knot behind your neck (that's what I do - haven't been motivated enough to have it shortened yet).

Anonymous said...

Thanks Heidi, I went with my usual size medium on the strapless jersey dress. Thanks again. What size pants do you wear at JCrew? I am pretty much a solid 8 in pants and shorts. I wear a 10 in jackets. It is nice to "meet" another tall person so I can see how clothes look on me. (no JCrew store nearby:(

HeidiG said...

Anon - no JC near? stinky! I am an 8 or 10 in pants. When I started this blog I was a 10 or 12, but am now down to 8-10 land. I take an 8 or a 10 in bottoms, depending on fit. And I am definitely a 10 in jackets with my shoulders. So yeah, I would say we could be pretty good fit models for each other! Keep me posted on what works for you and I'll do the same. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm adding the moisturizer and eyeliner to my list for my next Walmart run! The liner names crack me up-- not much imagination at Loreal these days! I was using the Sephora brand liner and it's OK, but doesn't last long enough.

Hope you are staying dry in CT! Isn't the sweatshirt cardi perfect for this weather!? Although, I wouldn't mind not having to wear it every day....
Thanks for the fun post!

Anonymous said...

Heidi G--Yeah, it is the shoulders thing that makes me a 10 in jackets. I can usually wear an 8 if I want it more fitted but I am not a tight/fitted jacket person. I like a LITTLE room to move and I like boxy jackets:) Just me:)

Sounds like we would make good fit models for each other.

I used to have 3 JCrew stores nearby for many years but no more...since we moved.

Fit Model Buddy:)