Monday, March 9, 2009

Closet Update and Outfit of the Day

Well, I started the closet project this weekend, dipping my toe in the water. I got through "skirts". Yes, that's the smallest category. I have to get through the closet this week since I have an appointment at the consignment shop this Friday. See my start here of 4 bags - consign now, consign summer, consign fall/winter, and donate. I am well on my way. I would have liked to have continued today but I had to go into the office for a few hours in the middle of the day. So there goes the free time while the kids are at school.

But in a flash of inspiration or insanity (take your pick), I pulled ALL of the pants out of the closet, still on hangers, and dumped them on my bed. So I pretty much have to go through them now. Oh, the tricks we are forced to play on ourselves...

Anyway, as I was going through the closet, I realized it had been a while since I wore on of my most favorite J Crew finds from Fall 08 - the pintuck jersey scoop neck tee in Cool Charcoal. I love this color. And I love that it has some wool in it so that I'm not freezing in just a thin knit. (I'm always, always cold.) So that's what I pulled out to wear today. Plus the trusty Chicos jeans, a sparkly necklace, and Clarks Clearlake flats (so comfy).

On another note, I think I have found my guide for this whole Lenten shopping ban/closet clean out experience on Rachel's blog, My Fashion Chronicle. Here's the post for the full description, but she summarizes the goals of her shopping ban as:

  1. Reinvent my wardrobe.
  2. Make my clothes work for me.
  3. Pare down number of items.
  4. Discover actual needs.
I think it's brilliant. Very wise, indeed, and words to live by.

What is your mantra right now, shopping-wise?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I find purging to be the best feeling in the world! Hope you do well at the consignment shop! :)

sparrowsandsparkles said...

I love that top! I kept trying to get it when it went on sale but my size was always gone. That is a great color.

Way to go on the closet. You are inspiring. I really am going to tackle mine one of these days. Maybe I should take some "before" pics of my mess and post them - the embarrassment should be motivation enough lol!

Joyce said...

I think you are doing great! Keep up the good work.

Slastena said...

Wonderful undertaking! You look beautiful!

HeidiG said...

Lissa - thanks, no idea how I'll do at the consignment shop, but anything helps!

S&S - My strategy this time for cleaning out the closet, as I alluded to in the post, is to go with 1 category at a time instead of trying to do it all at once. Plus that way I can't get out of doing something by just shifting things around! :) (and yes, I figured the before pics posted would be some motivation)

Joyce - thanks - your closet really inspired me to get to it - it looks so clean and well-ordered!

Slastena - thank you so much! :)

Teresa said...

You are a brave, brave woman to go through your closet like this. I really like your idea of going 1 category at a time. Just thinking about going through my closet makes me feel overwhelmed, but I need too tackle it soon.

Rachel said...

Congratulations on a great start! I admire your head-on approach in dealing with pants - that's definitely not a tactic I'm brave enough to use.

I'm so glad that you find the goals useful. Knowing that you've adopted them is even more incentive for me to stay on the straight-and-narrow. (Also, thanks for the link - it's appreciated!)

I look forward to reading about the rest of your journey!

HeidiG said...

Elegant_Mom - 1 category at a time seems to work well. Right now, all my dresses, camis/tanks, and workout/exercise/garden/paint clothes are on the bed.

Rachel - Actualy, Thank YOU. As I have been trying to figure out my end goal, seeing yours really articulated what I wanted to do. Much appreciated, good luck with your journey, and congrats on reaching 1 month.

Unknown said...

Totally genius to have consignment bags for the different seasons. Continued luck w/the reorganization!

HeidiG said...

Gigi - thanks! That's a new one for this closet cleanout - to save me later.