So this Lenten ban has extended that to a look at gluttony and its place in my life. I can tell you that I have actually lost 8 pounds over the last few weeks because I have finally put my relationship with food in its proper place. I inherited half of a kick-ass metabolism so my weight usual habits. I am one of those people who are much less in shape than they appear to be and I am trying to change that.
I have started exercising regularly. More free time when you aren't shopping or plotting how you are going to shop. And I feel so much better about myself. Not much exercise this week with the new puppy, except for PT, but considering the mostly self-inflicted lack of sleep at the beginning of the week, I am proud that I lost 2 pounds this week, got my puppy walking, and didn't descend into a vortex of bad eating.
Have I been perfect? Heck no! So here are my confessions, but I thing my indiscretions have been small and offset by additional clothes-related in-flow.
First of all, I finally caved and purchased Rescue Beauty Lounge's Smitten. By the way, their packaging is fantastic. I have been wanting the perfect pink. Medium pink, not to coral/orange, not too brown, with just a touch of lavender (since that works on my weird yellow-y skin tone), and this is it. Per RBL's description:
Angora, princess phones, Molly Ringwald movies. This is the light lilac pink that would have won Andrew McCarthy's heart.
Ok, I was always more a Judd Nelson girl, but whatever. Coming of age with the Brat Pack, how can I resist? So that was more than I usually spend, unless I buying Chanel, but it is worth it. (about $25, including S&H) But don't you love it? It screams spring to me, and I can't wait to wear it in the summer, too.
Old Navy purchases on F&F sale - 30% off, plus tax and S&H allocated to each item.
- The Old Navy Sweater Coat (#632592, orig. $39.50, curr $23.99 online), Gigi and Sparrow& Sparkle both did great reviews, check them out if you haven't already. I have wanted this since before my shopping ban and looked for it on my Mardi Gras shopping outing, but my ON did not have it. I ordered both the M and L just to be sure of fit (same shipping anyway, did you hear that J Crew?). Will return at least 1 of them. Allocated out, $20.18 each.
- 3 camis. I live in ON's shelf bra camis (because they are long enough in regular - you can see in the online pic next to the "basic camis" - shelf bra ones are longer). These are one of my year-round staples, along with their tanks. I need a fresh stock of white ones every 3-6 months. In the summer, they usually replace bras (ok, so there are some advantages to a lack of curves). I ordered 2 in white, and 1 in pink pony (as opposed to a pink goat, I suppose). I always need white and I don't have a pink right now. Allocated out, $7.57 for each. These I can actually excuse as necessities.
To balance this out, I got a $35 check from the consignment shop for stuff from last summer. I have $20 of returns at Nordstrom Rack (some ill-advised tights). Let's do the math (I was a math major, you know)
($20 for the sweater) + ($25 for the polish) < ($55 in clothing income)
Ok, I'm good. Plus I did purchase on a Sunday. So well within my rules.
So what did I resist? And where did I almost fail?
- Latest J Crew 20% off, especially when I realized the navy chiffon ruffle cardi was there in my size, waiting. Still have designs on this one at some future point in time, possibly.
- Bobbi Brown 20% sale this week. Oh, I was close, so close. I had a cart and everything filled Thursday night. Then I remembered that I had just come back from puppy class ($160), had a vet visit the previous day ($200-ish, thanks to all the shots), spent about $150 at the store on dog stuff. So a lot in 1 week. That made me stop. I don't need that much right now. What I have can get me through - at least until they release their new blush sticks, at which point I will take a look. But cautiously.
- But what really, really, really almost did me in - Chanel's email announcing their Deja Vu collection - "you loved it then, now love it again". Discontinued favorites can be found again. I thought, oh that's nice, no way they actually have their Rouge Noir Le Vernis Nail Colour. (For you polish neophytes, this is actually the original shade of Chanel's Vamp - as in Pulp Fiction, Uma Thurman, total fabulosity. The Vamp sold today is a different shade. And I am a huge fan of dark polish, ever since a tragic accident with my big toe and E's plastic high heel dress up shoes 4 1/2 years ago. And I love how it offsets my usual classic, preppy clothes with a teeny bit of edge.) Oh yes, they did. For $23, plus S&H of course, Rouge Noir could be all mine. And I was like, arghhhh, I just bought a new polish, and it wasn't cheap. So here I sit coveting the Rouge Noir polish. Knowing I shouldn't buy it. But it's still there, tempting me. This actually could be my undoing.
Right now the only thing keeping me honest is the DC JCA gathering next Sunday, 3/29. I said in the beginning, if I'm really good, then I can shop. If not, no way. So I am trying, trying so hard. But that Rouge Noir and its luscious vampiness is calling me. (this is my call for reinforcement, ladies) Fortunately, that puppy is keeping me pretty busy. Plus I still have 2 tops from Pre-Lent shopping that I haven't worn - yes, both are summer tops, 1 sleeveless, 1 tunic, but still...
Ok, staying strong, staying strong. See you all at DC JCA nest Sunday!