Monday, March 2, 2009

J Crew Molten Metallic Tank

On the list of items I did not purchase on my Mardi Gras shopping outing... the J Crew Molten Metallic Tank (#13616, $62). Very pretty, comes in gold and silver. Both great colors which have a lot of sheen but aren't shiny/icky. Molten really is the best way to describe them. Would be fantastic with white jeans (my summer fave) or a cute little skirt. Also good with shorts, trousers, etc. In short, I think it could pretty much go with anything. Great under a jacket, under a cardi, over a tee.


Very slouchy silhouette, which, I think, offsets some of the formality of the metallic. Right on trend with the mix of evening/metallic into day. The length is nice and long, but not too much. I love how open and round the U-neck is - shows quite a lot of clavicle, which I found flattering. Not sure how it would work if you were really curvy, since that's not the figure I was given. Sorry, can't remember which size I tried - medium or large.


So if it's so great, why didn't I get it? Well... see how it kind of grabs my midsection? (by the way, still working on the dressing room pics) And actually does the same thing on the model in the pinned/styled/photoshopped picture? Ok, in her case, it's really grabbing onto the shorts, not her tummy. You would think they wouldn't want that to show (or would minimize it as much as possible). I debated whether or not it would be worth it to wear a cami of some kind underneath to minimize that.

But for $62, did it rock my world? Not so much, although it definitely nudged it. Maybe later, on sale, and after a few more weeks of training with Mary Beth. In that same trip, I tried on the broadcloth scalloped shell which did, in fact, rock my world - and without some "help" underneath, so I opted for that one (see post here).

What do you think?

6 comments:

dinagideon said...

You know I was intrigued by this, too...but honestly, something just seemed off. I am glad you did the review. :) I think you helped save me some money...

Enjoy your SNOW day!

Unknown said...

I didn't even try it on. I thought it might cling on the wrong places.

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

Too bad about the cling factor...seems like a really great piece to wear under cardigans this Spring. Did you try tucking it in? Maybe that would help? I would love to see this in person and try it on...hopefully my store will get in in. Thanks for the review and pics...you ROCK! :)

HeidiG said...

Thanks, FFM. I actually don't tuck anything in, ever. (see note on libary shawl cardi about not wearing belts) I have a weird figure with broad shoulders and extra long femurs - I'm tallest from hip to knee, so I'm always looking to moderate those 2 things, and untucked tops help to put of those things more into proportion. But I would still encourage you to try it on, based on your pics on your blog, it could be fantastic on you.

Gigi & Dina - as you can see, you are both correct. But I may go back and look at it again if it goes on sale, with cami or tank in hand. And if I can get rid of a few excess pounds in the belly, it may work. Or maybe it's just not meant to be.

Anonymous said...

call me silly but its the 3rd time I've popped over... i keep peeking for the kitchen post you talked about. ;)

HeidiG said...

Sorry, Lissa, kids had 2-hour delay because of snow, I had to work, then help at school, and then had sister-in-law and niece over while bro-in-law took son to Caps game. Busy day. Planning to post tonight! :)