Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Old Navy Sweater Coat Sadness and Today's Outfit (yes, they're related)

Well, this was a big screw up. The Old Navy Sweater Coat (that I mentioned earlier this week). Yep, my F&F package arrived. Camis good. Sweater bad. Should have paid more attention because it is offered in a TALL, hello????? And it's the same shipping no matter how many items you order? And it actually says "hits at the waist"? Yeah, I messed up.

The medium (here on left) looks like it belongs to my 6-year-old daughter in terms of length, and the large (here on right) is really too big. I took pics and was trying to convince myself that I could maybe go ahead and keep the large, after putting it to a vote here, but as I look at it, it really is a bit too big. I think the Tall Medium would be perfect. Unfortunately, no more F&F, and I don't want to pay the shipping just for the 1 sweater. It's $24, shipping & tax puts it over $30, when I paid $20 for the other two. And I am planning to return in store, so they won't have the tall for me to exchange. Dang.

And I really made the definite decision to return after I saw the pics from today's outfit - my BR sweater jacket from last year (plus trusty Chicos jeans and Payless flats - are you tired of seeing them yet?). I love this sweater jacket, it always evokes a Chanel-esque feel in me, and I always feel great in it. But it's a little on the bigger side also, like the ON one. So I don't want 2 sweater jackets that are on the large side. Although the BR one doesn't usually look this wide, maybe it's the way I'm standing (whereas I think the ON one actually looks wider IRL). Anyway... What do I do? Should I go ahead and pay 50% more the M Tall sweater coat that seems like it would probably be perfect? Should I wait until after the DC JCA outing this weekend, because I've had my eye on the cricket cardigan and they may be too similar? What do you think?

Side note about today's outfit: This was my first piece of J Crew jewelry - the dog charm bracelet from Fall 2007. Love it!! Lucy thinks it's the most marvelous toy, so I am taking it off when we play. Luckily, it is sturdy.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man..that is too bad about the striped sweater. It's cute on you. I agree w/your fit assessment. The BR sweater jacket is cute. Do you have a pin you can add to it? I think you're still doing doggie friendly outfits right now, but a pin would be nice or if it's windy, a patterned scarf inside of it peeking out the top. It would still be casual.

The bracelet is really cute. I wasn't shopping at J Crew at that point so it's my 1st time seeing it.

sparrowsandsparkles said...

oh shoot... too bad on the striped - but I agree with you on the fit. The BR jacket is adorable and a nice neutral that you can do so much with! Love the cutie charm bracelet too :)

HeidiG said...

Gigi - love the pin or scarf idea! I usually go with chunkier earrings and hair up since necklaces don't work. But I will have to go upstairs and rummage around. Thanks for the idea!!

S&S - yes, total bummer. So glad you are loving yours!!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

Heidi, ON should do an even exchange for you and you won't have to pay for shipping, either. You aren't ordering a different item, just a different size. I've done this before, so call them and see if they still do exchanges this way. Let me know what happens. :)

KatyO. said...

I think the medium looks great on you! Honestly, had you not told me it was too short, I wouldn't have known. :)

Joyce said...

I agree with FFM and see if you can do the exchange. My fingers are crossed for you!

HeidiG said...

FFM - my question was, can I do that in the store, or only if I send it back via mail. Didn't want to have to pay to mail them back. But I guess that actually is cheaper in the long run because the sweater would be the same price. I will call Customer Service in the morning to see what they say. (ever had any experience with that?)

KatyO - it could work depending on what I would wear underneath - but I am planning to wear a tee or cami, so hitting right at the waistband of the pants is not an option.

Joyce - thanks, keep those fingers crossed!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

Hi Heidi! Returns via mail are ALWAYS free for the 4 stores...you can even print your return label at home. They use UPS, too. Exchanges are free to send back, as well, so it is a win/win situation. :) Good luck! They are still available now if you have the time to call. Keep us posted!

HeidiG said...

FFM - thank you so so so much! I didn't realize that. I always just returned to the store. Bless you!!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

Good Morning Heidi! I have some not so great news...I just checked the *4 Stores* websites, and they have apparently started charging for return shipping again. It's $6 now, but was just free in January...I know because I returned a bunch of stuff. I am so sorry for the mis-information. I'm not sure when or why they started charging again, but it may be new policy along with Final Sale and 30 day returns instead of 90. You can still call for an exchange at the price you paid, and return the sweater you have to the store. Ask them to send you the new Tall size for the price you paid of the regular, and they should just charge you and ship it for free. Then take the other back to the store. I've done that before, too.

HeidiG said...

FFM - thanks so much for checking! You are such a doll. I called this morning, and the SR actually told me that I could get the reverse shipping free - as long as I was doing an exchange (it's not free for just a return). She was extremely helpful I did order the Tall-Med, since there was only 1 in stock - which I got for the $16.79, plus tax, no shipping charge. I am going to return to the store since I am out doing errands today, and that's just as easy as hitting a UPS store.

Thank you again so much for your help! I've never needed to do an exchange with ON; I've always just returned, so it never occurred to me to call and ask. You are a blessing to us all! I will definitely let you know how it works!