Friday, March 27, 2009

Today's Outfit and the Story of the $2 Purse

Another bit of spring for you - although today was pretty Spring-like here, with the sunshine and warmer temps. (Tonight, though - 40 degrees and rain, whatever... Ugh!) So here are the tulips I picked up at the store yesterday - they always need a day to settle in the vase - I love that they totally match the polka dots on the vase! Tulips are one of my most favorite flowers. I love how they still continue to grow and twist and turn after you put them in water.

So, um, yeah, I wore another cream sweater today. What can I say? It's a favorite color and it always looks good on me. But today's sweater is the J Crew Tartine cardi in snow. This one was $19.99 online, with the 20% off to counteract the shipping. It's so thin that it's great for a day like today. And yes, I did brave it with Lucy, but I took her on 2 nice walks this morning, before and after PT, so she was wiped all day long. Tired puppy = good puppy.

Ok, yeah, cream sweater, whatever. Navy tank, Chicos jeans, pink patent Clarks peep toes to show off the navy toes, and then some sparkle. I love this necklace combo - it's Anthropologie's typeset initial necklace with J Crew's twisted crystal necklace doubled. Fun and sparkly. Plus a few bracelets. Not quite as blah anymore. But if anyone has some suggestions about what *else* to put under the Tartine cardi (other than my usual cami or tank), I would love to hear!! To me, the bracelet sleeves, with something this sheer can be a little tricky when it comes to layering.

And I finally remembered to get a pic of the short yellow trench from AT Loft. This color always makes me happy. And it definitely perks up any outfit. Love it with navy, gray, tan, pretty much anything. So it was perfect for yesterday's rainy, nasty day!! (Dina - makeup inspired by Vanessa in the Paris JC catalog - reddish lips, heavy (heavier) on the eyeliner. Fun, fun!)

In other wardrobe news, pulled out my warm white purse in honor of the spring weather. Now, I'm not one of those girls who change out their purse all the time. I'm just too lazy. I hate to totally rearrange purses that often. But this purse has a special story. I got it for $2 in cash from Ann Taylor. And it will forever be famous. I coveted it at the original price of $199, then it was marked down to $99 online. In I went to the store with my 30% F&F coupon, and asked about the purse. They checked and in spite of the misinformation on the price tag, yes, it was marked down in store as well. I had a sweater to return that was a gift but unfortunately had arms that were too short (or mine were too long). And I had 2 $20 reward certificates. So let's do the math, shall we?

$199, marked down to $99, take off 30%, credit of $34.99 or so, $40 in reward certificates = you owe us exactly $2.
I handed over my 2 $1 bills and walked out with this purse. Now I have several nice purses that I really love, but I don't think anything will ever truly take this one's place in my heart.

11 comments:

dinagideon said...

You look gorg...makeup, yellow jacket...but the most amazing thing...that purse...2 dollars!!! WOW! Good for you!

sparrowsandsparkles said...

Love the purse story...and it's a great purse! the yellow trench is beautiful.. so sad I missed out on a tartine cardi... looks great! And hey - your walls look very similar to the ones in my kitchen/family room... that isn't SW Chestertown Buff, is it?
Have a great weekend! :)

Unknown said...

The crystal twisted looks great doubled on you. Love the shoes. And LOVE the math for a $2 purse. That's hot.

Patina said...

you are stunning my dear. the spring like weather we had today has you glowing. You look so beautiful in both pics. I have a cardigan in snow that is see thru as well, so I will check back to see what suggestions work with this color. I usually just wear a white camisole or white graphic tee under it. I tried it with my rosette tee and it works since the color of the tee is so light.

Anonymous said...

I once got a coach black bag for $2

HeidiG said...

Dina - thank you! yes, the purse was a total score. Makes me happy ever time I carry it (which is often since I don't swap purses)

S&S - The wall color is actually Duron - Butter Pecan - and it's a little more yellow than it looks in the pic. But yeah, it's the back half of the downstairs - kitchen, eating area, family room, back hall. A very cheery color.

Gigi - yes, so hot! :)

ShopDiva - I bet the rosette tee looks great with it. I usually do white and wanted to do something a little different, which is why I chose the navy tank, but I am still look for something more "interesting." The thing with the short sleeve tees is that sometimes I think it looks weird under the cardi sleeve if they totally show through, I don't know... Waiting for some good advice here... :)

Anon @9:15 - Amazing find. Don't you love it?!

post-fab princess said...

Wow good for you - I covet your $2 purse!

You always look so fab!

MetropolitanMagnolia said...

Awesome! Love the fashion, love the tulips!

HeidiG said...

PBP-thank you! Don't know if I'll ever get that good of a bargain again...

MetropolitanMagnolia-thank you! I love the tulips, too - they always make my day!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

You look beautiful, Heidi! :) I love the story of the $2 handbag, too. Do have a Victoria or Lydia blouse? I think a ruffle cami in the same color as the tartine would be really pretty...a monochramtic, ruffly *romantic* inspired look.

HeidiG said...

FFM - thank you for the suggestion - that's really something I need for my wardrobe. I have to admit that I was too distracted by other things at the JCA outing yesterday, and never got to trying on the Victoria, but I will most likely be doing some returns, so I will bring the cardi with me and take a look then!!