Wednesday, March 4, 2009

J Crew Dressy Jersey Ruffle Dress

One of the Mardi Gras try-ons that did not jump into my bag and make it home. The J Crew Dressy Jersey Ruffle Dress (#13613, $88). I live in dresses like this in the summer. Dress, cami, knickers, sandals...you're good to go. Makes it easy to pack, too. The dress is very pretty and very comfy. I conjured up multiple beach outings and lazy afternoons on the front porch drinking iced tea. Laura, of Laura in Real Life (not be confused with my friend Laura, the leopard Dansko clog fan), had a great video review of the dress on her blog here.

I really like the longer length. Even on my taller frame with my extra long femur, it was still below the knee, but not dowdy. That extra length just made it a lot more appropriate for certain occasions. The fit below the empire waist was good, plenty of room, it didn't feel too clingy. I believe I did go with a large, instead of medium, because I hate the clinging. It did not set off any VPL or bump alarms.


The one issue I had was the low cut top. First I will wax poetic about the ruffles. They are so pretty. Here is a great closeup from the website (and it shows better in the gray) - so so so pretty. Unfortunately...and this really is because I took a large to make sure there was enough hip/butt room...it was so low cut on me, as you can see in the horribly blurry crime-scene-video-quality pic above. There is no way I would wear this without something underneath, or without pinning it, or some toupee tape (not that I have any), or....or.... So I didn't get it.


Of course, later now that I am on Lenten shopping ban, the perfect solution occurred to me. If you love love love the dress, but are worried about the low cut, voila...the strappy sports bra. It will give you some extra coverage, and may even save the need for a bra, and it won't show up as a VPL. What would that be - a VCL, visible cami line? By the way, I don't necessarily condone the white with pink trim under the dress; it was the first one I could find quickly. (Thank you, Target, you always have what I need!)

Bottom line... a no go at $88 when there were other items that I just loved. But I am hoping to snag it at some point later on sale. Now that I have my solution, I am on board! Of course, now that I've seen the parsley and gray online, color choice, hmmmmm.....

7 comments:

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

The dress looks great on you...I definitely think you should get one! :)

AppGal said...

Thanks for the review. When I first saw it online, I wondered about the ruffles around the boobular area :) I figured that they would look odd, but the dress really looks great on you. I agree that a cami would make the look more pulled-together. Perhaps when this dress drops in price I'll pick it up...like you, i love love love the knit dress look. So easy, so stylish, so comfy. Perfect for warmer weather!

dinagideon said...

Works beautifully with your shape. But wait--don't buy this one! I am going to review the slub-cotton cottage dress on my blog and I think it may be a style that will work for you, too. :) (Probably won't get the review on-line till this weekend, though!)

HeidiG said...

Thanks, FFM. On sale, maybe.

AppGal - I was also curious about is how it would look on girls with curves (as I am in the A, not quite B range). I'll say it again - oh, the ruffle is so so pretty.

Dina - I look forward to your review of the cottage dress. Don't worry, I'm not buying anytime soon. Still on Lenten ban. Think I will take my Sunday to lessen restrictions of Lent when we have our DC JCA PS session - so excited when I read it on Slastena's blog. (see my totally dorky comment on her blog for the Sunday explanation)

Anonymous said...

discovered the sports bra trick years ago for my ultra-busty friend who claims "everything looks slutty" on her because of her cleavage. old navy makes the perfect all-white, non-rouched, non-racerback version with adjustable straps. :)

HeidiG said...

Anon - I'll have to check out ON's sports bras - I am a huge fan of their tanks and camis. Thanks!

Madelynn said...

That dress looks awesome on you. Well, I too like to wear longer length. Ann Taylor has really cute ruffles dresses.