Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Loving my Lili - the J Crew Merino Lili Ruffle-Chiffon Cardigan

Ahh... the J Crew Merino Lili Ruffle-Chiffon Cardigan (#10000, orig $110, curr $39.99 - only desert brown in M left online). Everyone's favorite George Washington-inspired top. Well, I may live in Maryland, but I'm a native Virginian and we love our GW!

So looking back at that originally price tag, yeah, guess what... I certainly didn't get it at full price. I ordered it online during the last 20% off promotion - so you know, the 20% off basically covered the shipping - right before my shopping ban. Very happy I did. I got the sweater in cerise. What a fun, bright punch of color to all my neutrals, especially for spring! I love this orange-y red. True red is not my best color, but this one works. Such a great color for a gray spring day like this one.

I know this sweater has its detractors. It doesn't always work well closed, since it has a hook & eye closure, not buttons. Hey, even the J Crew website uses this pic at left for the front closeup to minimize the gap issue. (Nice ruffle camouflage, thanks.)

So anyway, decided to finally wear it today - and wear open - with a gray tissue boyfriend vneck tee (these are quickly becoming a new favorite), white jeans, a little silver to touch it up, and my Target gray patent flats. BTW, I love these shoes but they really really really need to be replaced, so if you see gray patent flats somewhere, please let me know. Thank you.

Back to the outfit - I love the cardi with the gray tee & jeans - it totally changes the look. Reminds me of one of the J Crew catalogs earlier this year that referred to the cardigan as the "important third piece." Well, I think it steps up the look. And I have to say, I love the way the chiffon ruffles flutter a little as I run upstairs to fetch yet another load of laundry.

Two thumbs up from me. And thanks, Slastena, for the inspiration - you rock!

18 comments:

sparrowsandsparkles said...

I love the orange-y red/gray/white combo! So fun :) Looks great on you. Now I want that cardi too!

dinagideon said...

You look so pretty today...and for laundry, too. I hope the lights and darks appreciate your effort! ;)

Christina said...

love your outfit today. i am so ready for spring!!!

HeidiG said...

Thanks, ladies! I am so ready for spring too. And yes, Dina, my lights and darks do totally apprecaite my effort! :)

Emily said...

At first I thought the Lili was kind of fug when I saw it in the catalog. Now that I see it on you I really love it. So cute on you!

KatyO. said...

Love it! The color really looks beautiful on you!

Beth said...

Yes, the color is great on you! I also like this sweater and wanted it! I have too many JCrew cardigans and had to stop a little after Christmas!!

Unknown said...

We like so many of the same things. I have those shoes in black. *lol* Gray is a hard color to find in shoes, but if I see any I'll let you know. More importantly, you look fabulous in that color. It's beautiful on you.

Anonymous said...

You look amazing in that outfit! I'm considering ordering the boyfriend tee, it appears to be quite long on you, I'm 6 feet and have trouble with short tees. Do you know if it is longer than the perfect fit tees?? I hate flashing my belly in too short tees!!!
Thanks R

HeidiG said...

Emily - I was undecided but I kept thinking about it, so I figured that was a sign.

KatyO - thanks, I am really loving this color. And wondering what else I can find in it, once I start shopping, of course.

Beth - yes, I think I am close to cardi saturation, too (haven't gotten to that point in my closet clean out yet)

Gigi - LOL - I know - even though we have such different figures, we do seem to gravitate to a lot of similar things. Thanks for keeping an eye out for gray.

HeidiG said...

Anon-R - I am right there with you on the short tees. I'm trying to think how to compare the 2... I have perfect fit in long sleeve only - in L and tissue/boyfriend in vneck short sleeve - in M. The boyfriend is much looser than PF and I do think it's a little longer than the perfect fit. But because it's not as tight, it's not as likely to ride up as the PF. Does that make sense? For reference, I am 5'10". HTH!

Slastena said...

Heidi- you look absolutely positivley stunning in Lili. What a fun colorful outfit. Pairing with white denims and grey let the color play out nicely, without being overwhelming! Fantastic job!

HeidiG said...

Slastena - thank you! You did inspire me to put something great together. I was originally just going for a tank and dark-wash jeans, and then thought for a second about what I could do to bump it up a notch - thanks to you and all the other great JCAs.

Patina said...

You look gorgeous!

post-fab princess said...

Its fab in that colour!!! You look awesome!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

I think this cardigan is so beautiful IRL! I wish everyone could see it to get an appreciation of just how gorgeous it is. I almost bought this exact one, but ended up with the Clara Chiffon cardigan instead.

Heidi, you look stunning! :)

HeidiG said...

Thanks, ladies! I have to say, I am so digging this color!!

MMM said...

You look fabulous! I love this color on you! I have this cardi in both the navy & desert brown- I have not worn either yet... I think I should have ordered this color instead! Great outfit!!!