Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Getting Steamy...er, um, Misty in the Bedroom

Who has a humidifier in their bedroom? Here's my humidifier story... First of all, it's a cool mist humidifier, not the warm mist, so I guess "steamy" really doesn't apply. (That would be a fun title, though.) But it's the best thing I've done for my skin this winter, aside from religious moisturizer application.

Anyway... this past Christmas, my kids were kind enough to share their colds with me and then we were traveling on the visit-relatives-NC-VA circuit. It is so not fun to sleep in another bed when you're sick. By the time I got home, I was still miserable. One night I pulled out the humidifier, filled it, and turned it on thinking that (1) the white noise would help me sleep, and (2) maybe it would actually help me feel better.

The next morning, I got up, still didn't feel all that great, wandered into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and said "Holy cow! Did I get a facial while I was sleeping?????" My skin looked that good - even when I was miserably sick. So I have been a huge fan every since.

They might not be the prettiest thing to grace your dresser or vanity, but find a spot for it - your skin will thank you. Trust me on that...

5 comments:

A said...

Great post Heidi! I've been using a humidifier for a long time. It not only moisturizes my skin, but also helps me breathe better. :) Make sure to clean it regularly following the manufacturer instructions. I also use filtered water in mine because the tap water here is chlorinated.

Jenny said...

I agree - I have had a humidifier in my bedroom since I was a kid (back then it wasn't really my decision), and I find having it in the winter makes such a difference!

HeidiG said...

ABC - thanks for the reminder to follow mfr cleaning instruction. And yes, I think you have your priorities in the right order - breathing better is important, while the skin benefit is a definite bonus. :)

Jenny - you are so right - it does make a difference!

Posey Ford said...

No way! I love the idea of clearing up a cold and your face! You've totally sold me on this idea. Thanks Heidi!

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

I've heard about doing this before but hadn't tried it until I read you blog about your results yesterday. I got out our humidifier last night to give it a try. I think I'm going to keep it out for awhile to see what kind of results I can achieve...thanks for the information! :)