Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Nail Files - Part 1

I've been wanting to post about nail polish ever since I started this blog because, as my friends, know, I love nail polish. I mean I really really really love nail polish. And I love to keep up with the latest collections. (You know how I don't always have the right name for the J Crew colors, especially the not-current ones? That space in my brain is occupied by nail polish colors) I love to get manicures and pedicures, but I usually do it myself as I find it to be a relaxing evening activity. So this is the first Nail Files post, where I will specifically talk about my not-exactly-rational nail polish love. (Still, it is less expensive than a designer handbag addiction.)

First of all, here are the best resources I have:
  1. Favorite website - All Lacquered Up. I have been a devoted fan for well over a year, way before I even discovered all the fabulous JCA blogs. Michelle is a source of lots of great information and her swatches are amazing!
  2. 2nd Favorite Website - Community Nail Polish Gallery. Great for looking at colors on lots of different people. Very helpful, especially if Michele (#1 above) hasn't swatched a particular color.
  3. Best Book Ever - Rescue Your Nails by Ji Baek, of Rescue Beauty Lounge. I dream of being able to go to RBL some day. I don't own any of her polishes, but as soon as I'm off shopping ban, I'm ordering one or two. Her formula is supposed to be one of the best on the market - but we'll talk colors another time. If you are serious about doing your own nails and having them look good, read this book - even if you think you know everything. Trust me, you'll learn something.
And to start our conversation...What is the absolute #1 best thing ever you can do for your nails? Same as your skin - moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I like to try new ones and I have a few favorites. I keep moisturizer in the following places:

  1. Bedside table - Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream
  2. Purse - Sample size Nail Tek Advanced Hydrating Creme
  3. Kitchen Junk Drawer - Sally Hansen Flawless Hands Skin Brightening Creme SPF 20
  4. Powder Room - Soap & Glory Spa Endless Glove Hand Cream
  5. Car - Soap & Glory Great Shakes Hand Cream

What are my favorites? I love the Aveeno Hand Cream (have gone through several tubes), but my new favorites are the 2 Soap & Glory hand lotions. I will definitely repurchase those. I don't love the Sally Hansen lotion for moisturizing, but I love the SPF.

And where am I most likely to remember to put on hand lotion? In the car. I try to do it whenever I wash my hands, but sometimes in the morning, you're running around, getting the kids ready for school, getting yourself ready... You know how that goes, right? But how often are you in your car, just sitting there at a stop light or in traffic? Perfect time to put on a little lotion.

One last tip (from Ji's book) - You know how you have those random eye or face creams that didn't work on your face? They stung, or they were way too heavy? Guess what...they make perfect hand lotion. It stung? (Aveeno Positively Radiant Eye Brightening Cream, that's you, sorry) Great exfoliating on your hands. It was too heavy? Think of the moisturizing benefits. If you are like me and you grabbed some of these face failures at Target (and can't return it), it's a great way to use them up. Ditto on the samples (Estee Lauder Hydra Bright Skin-Tone Perfecting Moisturizer Creme) that you got at the department store or Sephora and realized there's no way you can use them on your face. And in a pinch, lip balm on your cuticles works.

Now, if that doesn't sell you on moisturizing often, maybe this will - just using moisturizer will make your hands look 10 years younger. Yes, I said 10 YEARS. Wow, I'll take that!

8 comments:

Lake Nokomis said...

I love the color of the polish in the first photo. Can you please share the brand/color?

HeidiG said...

Sure - it's OPI's Just Tea-sing, from a Summer 2007 Collection, I believe. It's a very beige-ish sheer with a little sparkle. As a nude, it works really well with my skintone.

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

Good Morning Heidi! I love this post! I actually went for a professional mani/pedi yesterday and just love the way it looks AND makes me feel. :) The polish I chose is very similar to the color you have on in your pic, too.

Have a wonderful and blessed day!

dinagideon said...

You take such good care of your hands. If I moisturize once a day, I am pleased. You are an inspiration! :)

Slastena said...

Thank you for the wealth of information! My hands are always dry and my nails are so brittle, I think I found perfect resources to help my problems!

You hands look gorgeous! You should model them!:))

HeidiG said...

FFM - nothing better than a mani/pedi to make you feel together.

Dina - it's all about baby steps. Maybe try to put on lotion right before you head out the door to walk to school? By the time you get there it should be absorbed.

Slastena - thank you! I struggle with nail issues too - mine peel when they get dehydrated, so that's why I try to keep them protected and to moisturize.

Lake Nokomis said...

Heidi - Thanks for the information on the color. It really looks nice on you!

Gel-Nails said...

Interesting content.

Just wanted to share some information that may help busy professionals caught up with work and who have less time to maintain their nails. You can try out gel nails which are now becoming a hot favorite as they are natural looking even without nail tips and the best way for nail enhancement. Also, if you are allergic to those strong smelling chemicals which you can experience with acrylic nails, then you should use gel nails as these are odorless.

However, when you are planning on gel nail application, make sure you approach a nail salon or a nail artist who is well versed with gel nails and is properly trained and mastered in gel applications. This will save you from problems that can arise with improper gel nail applications.