Sunday, March 29, 2009

Jewelry Board - Part 1

After reading and being inspired by FabulousFloridaMommy's post and Joyce's post, I decided to make my own fabric covered jewelry board to hang next to my lingerie chest for storing and displaying a good portion of my necklaces and bracelets. I wish I had space in my closet, but I don't, so therefore it has to look presentable. This is Part 1, since I actually made the bulletin board, but I haven't hung them yet, so that will be Part 2 (which may or may not include a new piece of jewelry from today's DC JCA outing).

Step 1 - Assemble your materials. Given the space on my wall, I decided to do 2 bulletin boards, 1 small (18 x 12) over 1 medium (24 x 18), both hung "landscape." My fabric is leftover from doing the bedroom - I love this print and wish I had used it in more than 1 little pillow. Given the colors, I don't know that I'll be hanging much in the way of brightly colored beads, but we'll see.

Materials = cork board, fabric to cover and wrap around, ribbon to glue around perimeter, thin cotton batting for cork surface, push pins, glue (I used a quick-dry, rock-solid-hold glue from Michaels), scissors, masking tape - and a towel to cover my work surface, which was the dining room floor, since the kids were doing Play Doh in the kitchen and snagged my "craft" vinyl tablecloth.

Step 2 - Cut a piece of cotton batting to cover the cork part on the front and then glue around edges just to help hold it. This will help the fabric look better at the edges of the frame.

Step 3 - Cut the fabric to hang over the edges by several inches and then center the fabric on the cork board, then flip over so you are looking at the back of both. You may want to trim the fabric again so that it just comes up over the backside of the frame. Remember that you will want to stretch it a bit when attaching so make sure you account for that.

Step 4 - Start gluing. Work on 2 opposing sides first, remembering to make sure fabric is pulled taut, not too tight, not too slack. Then do the other 2 sides. BTW, you could use a staple gun or hot glue gun if you wanted - this was just my choice for this project. Give the glue a chance to dry (I worked on the other board in the interim).

Step 5 - Glue your ribbon on the edge. Given the pattern and the fact that I was going to have jewelry hanging, I chose not to have any ribbon on the front surface. Depending on your situation, you may want to change that. Start at the bottom corner and glue about 3" to the corner and continue around. End at that same bottom corner. (shows less on the bottom)

Step 6 - Let glue dry again and hang. Yeah....I haven't gotten to that yet. But here they are sitting in the dining room drying. For you eagle eyes, yes they are upside down (because we glued the ribbon on the bottom last, weren't you reading?).

I am very excited to see how this works on the wall. I also think you could do this just for decoration on a wall with an amazing fabric. We have the DC JCA outing today so I may not get to the hanging part until tomorrow. As soon as they are up and going, I will post. Hope you all have a blessed and restful Sunday!

6 comments:

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified said...

These look FABULOUS Heidi! I am really looking forward to seeing pics of them with your jewelry. Have fun today! :)

Unknown said...

Great job! Yay on getting your projects done...and 2 of them at that. They look good and the use of fabric that is already in your room is awesome.

sparrowsandsparkles said...

VERY nice!! Good job.

Petunia said...

I love this idea and you made it so pretty!

KatyO. said...

So crafty. :)

I'll take pics of how I hang mine--on the wall around my dresser area. Terrible, I know...totally ruins the walls. But I love it because it adds some personality to otherwise bland white walls. ;)

HeidiG said...

FFM - thank you! Today was so much fun - so great to meet all these ladies in person! We're all jealous of Slastena since she gets to meet you!! (And some good buys today, still need to make final decision on a few items...)

Gigi - it was just as easy to do 2 as 1, to be honest - same process, you know, and something to do while the glue dries. :)

S&S and Petunia - thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing them actually on the wall and in use.

KatyO - I am so curious to see how your hang yours - I bet it looks fab!